The purpose of this policy is to explain to you how I control, process, handle and protect your personal information while browsing or using this website, including your rights under current laws and regulations. If you do not agree to the following policy you may wish to cease viewing / using this website.
Policy key definitions:
- “I” & “we”, refers to the website owner, Samantha Cummings.
- “you”, “the user” refer to the person(s) using this website.
- GDPR means General Data Protection Act.
- PECR means Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulation.
- ICO means Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Cookies mean small files stored on a users computer or device.
Processing of your personal data
Under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) we control and / or process any personal information about you electronically using the following lawful bases.
- Lawful basis: Consent
The reason we use this basis: As a viewer/reader you have selected to read and interact from your own free will.
We process your information in the following ways: Via the comments section; however, WordPress is the storer and processor of this information and they have their own information regarding this. As for how I personally use your information – I don’t!
Data retention period: Wordpress will continue to process your information under this basis until you withdraw consent or it is determined your consent no longer exists.
Sharing your information: We do not share your information with third parties.
If, as determined by us, the lawful basis upon which we process your personal information changes, we will notify you about the change and any new lawful basis to be used if required. We shall stop processing your personal information if the lawful basis used is no longer relevant.
Your individual rights
Under the GDPR your rights are as follows. You can read more about your rights in details here;
- the right to be informed;
- the right of access;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to object; and
- the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
You also have the right to complain to the ICO [www.ico.org.uk] if you feel there is a problem with the way we are handling your data.
We handle subject access requests in accordance with the GDPR.
Some cookies are required to enjoy and use the full functionality of this website.
Cookies that we use are;
- Affiliate links – I use affiliate links as a way to generate income; the use of these links means that a cookie is used to track when you click and purchase from external websites in order for them to determine commission. These cookies are deleted after the relevant time period. In order to find out more information on the individual cookies please feel free to research each company on my affiliates page.
- Tracking traffic – Cookies are used to determine how you reach my page; be it from Google or a social media link. It also tracks your location [country], age and gender based on your saved settings on your internet profiles. This information is not saved to a profile that I can view, it is merely for analytic purposes.
Data security and protection
I ensure the security of any personal information we hold by using secure data storage technologies and precise procedures in how we store, access and manage that information. WordPress methods meet the GDPR compliance requirement.
Transparent Privacy Explanations
I have provided some further explanations about user privacy and the way we use this website to help promote a transparent and honest user privacy methodology.
Sponsored links, affiliate tracking & commissions
I will always make it known in each post when affiliate links are being used as a way to remain transparent.
Clicking on any adverts, sponsored or affiliate links may track your actions by using a cookie saved to your device. Your actions are usually recorded as a referral from our website by this cookie. In most cases we earn a very small commission from the advertiser or advertising partner, at no cost to you, whether you make a purchase on their website or not.
We use advertising partners in these ways to help generate an income from the website, which allows us to continue our work and provide you with the best overall experience and valued information.
If you have any concerns about this we suggest you do not click on any adverts, sponsored or affiliate links found throughout the website.
Resources & further information
- Overview of the GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation
- Data Protection Act 1998
*Last updated – 2018